Monday, August 29, 2011

We take life for granted

We take things for granted so much, today I was in the car on the way up with a friend from Palm Bay, and we were discussing family trips... and I think back, being blessed to go to London, Spain, and Morocco all in 1997, on 10 hours of flying, crying, screaming and complaining. The trip was based to learn arabic in Spain and reach out to the Muslims traveling across the mediterranean to Morocco about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thinking back it was all short of boring, At the time I was obsessed with 747 jets, and we got to fly Virgin Atlantic, and it was a long 8 hour flight, I had my first passport, which was all new to me and was overjoyed as we got to Orlando International Airport we got our little messenger bags from the airline with sleeping masks, logo'd toothbrushes, and headphones and who knows what else they gave the kids. The flight was so long and overlooking the atlantic freaked me out.. but we got there, and it was an experience to never forget, the london taxi cabs, the double decker red buses, London Bridge, it all was magical within itself. But...unfortunately, looking back as me and my friend Carl talked about in the car today, I don't remember much. I remember the small details, like getting off the plain, but to remember the people, and absorbing the culture, and furthermore the experience of seeing the joy on Mom and Dad's faces would be something I wish I could go back to see. In the end of the Europe/Africa Missionary trip, we took a small ferry over to Tanger, Morocco and Mom and Dad both used to do missionary work, Dad lived in Uganda, Mom was in Nigeria and of course Morocco is no where near, but. I remember after the rocky boat ride, I looked down the railing and saw the look of happiness on Mom and dads face as we approached the coast and it was almost like they were coming home, but I remember then looked down at us and we were so incredibly happy and bouncing up and down, I just wish we could relive those little moments again.

Also thinking back there were little road trips on the way to Chicago to see Grandma and Mom's famly we stopped in Tennessee at some of the caves and such and hiked down, or on the trip to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore, and driving through canyons and suddenly our car was surrounded by buffalo. To horse back ride in the Rocky Mountains and see elk. The small day trip me and Dad took to Mexico, all so small, but still was an awesome experience, one of whichthat I will never forget but wish I remembered.

Even my first flag football match and making my first goal, so silly and small but a memory of looking back and seeing Mom and Dad cheering with the biggest grins on their faces, and the high fives from the team. Every piano recital and practice Mom was there, and Every boyscout camp out and troop meeting Dad was there every step of the way, I'm sure thousands was spent on me and daniel to enjoy life and learn and become well rounded members of society, I wish I did those things now to be able to really appreciate them, but again life is too short.

Life is so short, and in the blink of an eye, your sitting in bed, 12 years later, with news that your Uncle who has lung cancer could not have much longer, and just the little things start to make you reminisce and appreciate... just a thank you Mom and Dad, for making me the richest person I know. I feel so incredibly blessed to have been able to travel the world, and be blessed, more than anyone is deservent, a life many would kill for to have a solid family. Thank you for giving me and Daniel the most amazing life we could ever wish for, even though we may not have appreciated it then... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment